Saturday, March 17, 2012

Considering Brighton

Today Mrs. Bennet sent me a letter detailing her younger daughter's wishes to Brighton. I understand that the militia will be stationed there this summer, and that the younger Misses Bennets' wish to follow them there. While Mr. Bennet will not consent to let his daughter go there, Mrs. Bennet is holding out for the hope that my dear Charlotte and I will go to Brighton, and bring their Lydia with us. I cannot even fathom what would make me consent to that plan. Brighton is not a place for the kind of people like Charlotte and me, and I should think Mrs. Bennet would not want her daughter in a place like that.

5 comments:

  1. I can understand your opinions in this matter and I wish to explain my familys reasons for letting her go. You were a young girl once and I am sure you were upset when the militila left. Father just wants his daughter to be happy although he may not show it. And mother is allowing her to go off in the hopes of her finding a husband. Lydia may be rash but she is clever when it comes to getting her way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it is clearly not a good idea to send her to Brighton. You never know what could possibly happen. Soldiers are not great people to get involved with because they are usually poor. Wickham will also be there so that will not be such a great idea for he is a extremely bad influence. I hope the Bennets make the right decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As much as it seems like the Bennet's do not like me, I also think that it is clear the girls should not be interacting with those soldiers. Since Darcy is also gossiping about one of their always wrong doings, I wouldn't want them being a bad influence to those nice girls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother and father only want to ensure that their daughters are happy, and it will be good for Lydia to get away from home for a while. It has done Jane and I a lot of good, and I feel that it would help Lydia as well. And as for you and Charlotte being too good for Brighton, I must say that that is quite a presumptuous comment, Mr. Collins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also think Brighton is not a suitable place for a young lady. However considering Lydia's behavior, she may as well be suitable for such a place. I just hope she would not be tricked by Wickham. Additionally, I think Brighton is not a suitable place for anyone else but the militia, but be my guess.

    ReplyDelete